Using Gift Aid to increase the value of your donations
The UK Government “Gift Aid” scheme allows UK taxpayers to make donations to registered charities, including the Roman Catholic Church, in a tax-efficient manner. The amount of money you pay does not change, but we are able to recover the tax you paid on your donation, provided you have in fact paid sufficient tax in each tax year to cover the amount we (and any other charities you donate to) claim back.
If you wish to allow us to take advantage of the Gift Aid scheme, there are a number of ways you can do so. Before completing your declaration, please ensure you read the following information, as by continuing you are agreeing that you have read and understood these points:
In making a Gift Aid declaration, I confirm that:
- I wish the church to treat as Gift Aid donations all qualifying gifts of money made by me during the time period stated.
- I have paid or will pay an amount of UK Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6th April to 5th April) that is at least equal to the total amount of tax that all charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) will claim on my gifts to them for that tax year. I understand that other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify.
- I understand that if in any tax year I do not pay enough qualifying taxes to cover my donations, I will be responsible for paying the difference to HMRC.
- I understand that the charity will reclaim the equivalent of the basic rate of Income Tax that has been paid on my donations (currently 25p for each £1 of donation).
- If I pay Income Tax at the higher or additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due, I understand that I must include all my Gift Aid donations on my Self Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust my tax code.
- I understand that I can cancel this Gift Aid declaration at any time, and if I do so, future donations will not be eligible for Gift Aid.
Your options now are:
- Fill in the online web form:
- Please click HERE, complete the form, and submit it.
- Fill in a paper form and send it to us:
- Please click HERE to download the PDF version of the declaration. Print it out, and fill it in. Once you have done so, you can either post it to the church, bring it with you when you next come, or scan it and send the scan to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.